14 August, 2013

The prerequisites

Most schools I've looked into have the same basic prerequisite requirements. If you've been working as an RN in the ICU, most of this stuff you should have already.
  • Bachelor's degree. Usually BS in Nursing, but some are ok with a related or science field.
  • GPA of 3.0 or higher. Keep in mind that this is a minimum requirement. I've seen GPA requirements as low as 2.75 but in reality a competitive GPA is probably around 3.75.
  • Most programs will require one or more of the following: 
    • Statistics 
    • General Chemistry
    • Organic Chemistry 
    • Biochemistry
    • Physics
    • Anatomy and Physiology 
  • Minimum GRE scores (2012+) of 297 to 300. 
  • RN licensure. This should be unrestricted and have a spotless history.  
  • Between 1 to 3 years of experience in critical care. Some places will consider ER, PACU, and OR.
  • CCRN and/or other additional professional certifications
  • BLS, ACLS, and PALS Certification
  • A rich sugar mama to support you through 24-28 months of schooling cause you won't be able to work. 

So where do I stand in all this? 
  • Bachelor of Science in Nursing, from a state college
  • Undergrad GPA = 3.27. Hardly competitive for most programs, but I've taken graduate level nursing courses in pharmacology, pathophysiology and a couple others with a GPA of 4.0. 
  • The only other extra courses I've taken are statistics and general chemistry. I also have a introductory general general/organic/biochemistry course. Anatomy and physiology were done as preqs for my BSN program. 
  • GRE scores: Verbal=157, Quantitative=153. Waiting on my analytical writing scores. 
  • About 3 years of experience in critical care
  • CCRN is completed. Also have TNCC in addition.
  • BLS, ACLS, and PALS under my belt. In addition, I'm also a BLS Instructor and working towards becoming an ACLS instructor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment