01 September, 2014

31 Aug 2014 - Hurry up and waiting on that Scroll...

First off, to my former co-worker that got into KPSA, good luck on the start buddy!

I got my official letter from Northeastern University earlier this month as expect. Still no word from the Army, however. According to my recruiter, my packet has already been approved by the Department of the Army for the program and my name has been sent up the chain for scroll approval, a process by which no one has any real idea works. Having been scrolled in before when I commissioned into the Air Force Reserves, I know that the wait feels longer than forever. 

Basically, your packet is sent to the board for your branch for review. If you're approved by your branch it's supposed to be pretty much automatic that you're in because if you're going to get rejected, it's at the branch level. Your packet then gets sent to the Secretary of Defense for scroll approval. My assumption was that company grade officers O-1 to O-3 only required SECDEF approval which was usually automatic. I was told, however, that a law passed a few years back requiring Senate approval for all officers entering AD; Senate approval used to be be required only for field and flag officers. My guess is that it's supposed to be a formality so that the Senate can have more oversight over military spending. 

The important part, however, is that the Senate has the ability to line out specifics from the scroll. So basically, I can still be rejected if I pissed off a Senator or two who still have the ability to line out my name on the scroll. It just takes a long time because of the bureaucracy. That and since it's the end of the fiscal year, my guess is I won't be finding out until October when I get to commission in. 


No comments:

Post a Comment